Volunteer Mentor Program
Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer mentor for Canine Companions! Volunteer mentors play a vital role building and sustaining a warm and welcoming on-boarding process to our volunteer community.
Volunteer mentors guide new volunteers (mentees) by meeting one-on-one to answer questions and provide beneficial information about Canine Companions, utilizing materials provided in mentor training and tool kit. A typical mentoring timeline is about 90 days from the start date of the new volunteer that includes three informal sessions. Due to COVID-19 safety measures, the meetings can be virtual.
Note: There is a limit on the number of volunteer mentors we can accept into the program at this time.
Requirements To be a volunteer mentor, you must:
- Have two or more years of volunteer experience with Canine Companions.
- Complete and submit a volunteer mentor application.
- Attend a volunteer mentor training.
- Follow Canine Companions Volunteer Mentor model.
- Be courteous, friendly and inclusive, with good interpersonal skills. Be comfortable working independently, as well as in a group, such as collaborating with staff.
- Reliable and have excellent time management skills.
- Respect and maintain confidentiality of other Canine Companions volunteers.
- Be able to commit to the entire duration of the new volunteer on-boarding process.