The Indiana Volunteer Chapter has been in existence in one form or another for more than two decades. We recently changed our name to include more than just central Indiana since we support volunteers statewide. There are no paid workers in our group. Members of our chapter are from all walks of life and all ages and include working service, hearing, and facility dog teams, puppy raisers, donors and other volunteers.
The Indiana Volunteer Chapter is engaged in the following activities:
- Raising public awareness of Canine Companions through community outreach events and activities
- Informing children, adults, veterans, and professionals about the benefits of a service dog in improving the lives of people with disabilities
- Recruiting puppy raisers for the first 16-18 months of care until dogs are ready for professional training
- Supporting puppy raisers with Canine Companions-specific training and socialization outings
- Providing financial support for Canine Companions through fundraising
- Giving demonstrations and presentations about the Canine Companions mission